Do You Desire To Bring Your Child Into The Kingdom?

It's hard enough to be a Christian parent in this world. How do we combat the forces of evil while at the same time raise our children to desire to walk in God's light? By seeking His face, His Word and inspiration from each other as we stumble through this parenting process together. You will find all the instruction, encouragement and resources you need right here at The Greatest Mission Trip You'll Ever Take to help you be the most effective witness to your child that God would have you be. Look around and come back often. Let's learn together.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Encouraging Verses For Your Child

photo by Gaetan Lee

My daughter was having a tough time of it. The 24/7 headaches were never any better, despite all the doctors, blood tests, MRIs and new drugs she was put on. One night she came to me in tears, her head throbbing, and nothing she took could help the pain.

She stopped playing piano because it just wasn’t enjoyable anymore. I didn’t hear her lovely singing. School was harder. Reading, her favorite pastime, went to the wayside. Life, in general, was just not pleasant. Constant pain has a way of changing everything.

She spent about a year and a half suffering with the headaches until we were finally able to find the culprit and begin treatment. Not all of our children go through such challenging trials, but life can be testing even for the strongest of them.
  • The bully at school who constantly harasses.
  • Dad loses his job and now you have to move so he can find work.
  • Relationship issues with friends and boyfriends/girlfriends.
  • Not making the team he’d trained for for so long.
  • Feeling alone and lonely.
The Bible has answers for all of life’s problems, including those that our children go through. Why not share them with your child? Here’s what I did as my daughter went through her headache trial: I searched out Bible verses that spoke of encouragement, wrote them down on slips of paper, then strategically placed the notes where I knew she would find them - on her pillow, in a book she was trying to read, taped to her iPod, etc.

It didn’t necessarily make everything ‘all better’, but it provided a measure of comfort as she dealt with the pain. It also gave us points of connection for conversation as she wondered why she was going through what she was.

As your child goes through trials and challenges (and remember, the trial may seem insignificant to you, but in their eyes, it’s monumental), share words of encouragement from the Bible. Here are a few you can use:

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. - Deuteronomy 31:6

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. – Matthew 11:28-30

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. – Philippians 4:6

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. – Galatians 6:9

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

So do not fear, for I am with you;do not be dismayed, for I am your God.I will strengthen you and help you;I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 2 Corinthians 4:8-9

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7

Spread the word - Christian parents can find their own encouragement for raising godly kids right here at TGMT. Link to it, email articles, Stumble, Digg and Twitter what you like. Let friends know where you get your encouragement and ideas!

Related Articles:

No comments: