Do You Desire To Bring Your Child Into The Kingdom?

It's hard enough to be a Christian parent in this world. How do we combat the forces of evil while at the same time raise our children to desire to walk in God's light? By seeking His face, His Word and inspiration from each other as we stumble through this parenting process together. You will find all the instruction, encouragement and resources you need right here at The Greatest Mission Trip You'll Ever Take to help you be the most effective witness to your child that God would have you be. Look around and come back often. Let's learn together.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Delivery Room Dedication

photo by Joeannenah

I never had a Bible in my household until I came to know Christ as my Savior at the age of twenty-eight. As the Holy Spirit began transforming me from the old to the new and I began understanding better what my relationship was supposed to be with Jesus, I understood that I had made a covenant, a promise. Having accepted payment for my sins by Christ’s death on the cross, I had agreed to follow God in everything He asked of me.

Slowly I entered the pages of the Bible, dipping my toes in the pool of the Gospels, following the guidance of my pastor’s wife who had taken me under her wing. As I learned, I wanted to know more. The commandments of God pierced my heart and I began following them, not out of obligation or duty, but motivated by the love He showed me when He sacrificed His Son for my benefit.

The commitment I had made to follow God became a living, breathing thing, not given to vacillating emotions, but strengthening with every decision I made to be obedient. I recognized that God required this of me, and I was blessed with God’s good pleasure in my life. Not that it was a bed of roses, but I knew where to keep my focus and where to go for further instruction.

I suppose I’ve always been a late bloomer in some respects. I married when I was thirty and had my first child two years later. I experienced the overwhelming joy of holding the daughter God had given me and faced yet another decision of obedience. I could teach my child about the Lord I loved, sharing with her everything I knew about Him and engaging her daily with His presence, or I could suffice it with weekly church and Sunday school attendance and children’s group activities when she got old enough.

I decided there in the delivery room that no one was going to be more responsible for witnessing to my child about God than me. Well before my husband and I had entered the front door with our daughter, our home had been dedicated as a mission field. Not knowing about Christ would never be an option.

No comments: