Do You Desire To Bring Your Child Into The Kingdom?

It's hard enough to be a Christian parent in this world. How do we combat the forces of evil while at the same time raise our children to desire to walk in God's light? By seeking His face, His Word and inspiration from each other as we stumble through this parenting process together. You will find all the instruction, encouragement and resources you need right here at The Greatest Mission Trip You'll Ever Take to help you be the most effective witness to your child that God would have you be. Look around and come back often. Let's learn together.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Following The Second Commandment Unto Death

If we’re to follow the second commandment, then we cannot put anything or anyone in higher importance than God. If we’ve dedicated our children to the Lord and have every intention of raising them in God’s Word, we should be okay, right? I mean, we’ve obviously made a commitment to make God more important than our children, haven’t we?

I was lying in bed one night, thinking about my children and the commitment I made to teach them the ways of God, when I had a terrifying revelation. I suddenly pictured our family being held in captivity. The captor approached me with an ultimatum. I had to forsake my God and abandon my faith, or I had to give up a child to death.

I cannot describe the fear I felt at the notion of watching someone kill my child because I made a choice for that to happen. I couldn’t forsake my God, but could I relinquish the child I’d carried, birthed and raised to such a cruel end?

And the Spirit impressed upon me, “Then you haven’t really given her to Me.”

The revelation lasted mere seconds. It shook me to the core. I didn’t want to dwell on it any more, but I made myself envision the rest of the scenario, the captor taking my child and executing her in my presence. Then I pleaded with God.

“Lord, please don’t ever make me have to go through something like that, but You reign supreme, and if You want my children, they are yours to take.” I didn’t weep, but I felt a profound sense of humility. I also sensed a gentleness which whispered back, “That’s all I needed.”

Have you made the Lord so important, so supreme, that you’re willing to forsake your child as a testimony of your love for Him? God did. He loved us so much that He gave up His Child for our sake. Are you willing to return the love in like kind?

No comments: