Do You Desire To Bring Your Child Into The Kingdom?

It's hard enough to be a Christian parent in this world. How do we combat the forces of evil while at the same time raise our children to desire to walk in God's light? By seeking His face, His Word and inspiration from each other as we stumble through this parenting process together. You will find all the instruction, encouragement and resources you need right here at The Greatest Mission Trip You'll Ever Take to help you be the most effective witness to your child that God would have you be. Look around and come back often. Let's learn together.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

20 Ways To Celebrate Your Child’s Baptism


L) Our Lead Pastor, Dave Gruhn, opening the ceremony with a word from the Bible, while Executive Pastor Chris Lentz looks on. R) James giving his testimony.

Is there any better reason to celebrate a family occasion than the baptism of one of your children? When the child has made a profession of faith and agreed in obedience to publicly declare that decision, it’s time to rejoice!

Our church has an annual baptismal gathering at a lovely pond north of town. Daylilies festoon the banks, lily pads float lazily by, and if you’re wearing shorts you just might feel a fish nibble at your legs. Church family comes out with their lawn chairs and umbrellas and someone walks around with a cooler full of watermelon slices to help beat the heat.

Our son James was baptized Sunday. His written testimony stated that he has grown up in a home where Jesus is taught and loved. He said that he’s never had a “BAM!” experience of Christian revelation, but rather a consistently and diligently growing devotion to the Lord brought about by parents who made God a big deal in their family. My husband and I are quite pleased with his testimony.

I woke up Sunday morning celebrating the reason for the day. Here’s the twenty ways we celebrated throughout the day:

  • We invited family to share in the glorious event.
  • We all went to church together. I got teary-eyed during a drama about baptism.
  • I told everyone at church, “James is getting baptized today!”
  • I told my son I was very proud of him.
  • We came home and James threw a Frisbee with his big brother and shot hoops with his Dad.
  • We had a great meal of ham, potato salad (fries for James) and sweet corn on the cob.
  • I went around smiling all day long.
  • My husband, Bill, taught about baptism from the Bible.
  • We presented James with a gift, a brand new Teen Study Bible to replace his (worn) Adventure Bible.
  • I reminisced about certain days of his growing up.
  • I hugged him and told him I loved him.
  • I engaged in prayer speak all day long.
  • I patted his shoulder.
  • I patted his back.
  • I patted his behind (he thinks he’s getting a little too old for that).
  • I dabbed at tears.
  • I tousled his hair.
  • When we got back we had heaping bowls of fudge ripple and dulce de leche ice cream.
  • I kept on smiling, well into the night.
  • I told my son, again, how proud I was of him.
Our child’s baptism is a great reason to celebrate. Make it a special day of affirmation, praise of the Lord and remembrance of the occasion.

How have you celebrated a baptism in your household?
L) He didn't even hold his nose!
R) Back home, basking in the glow of the Holy Spirit.


Related Articles:
A Country Road Prayer
Our Child's Best Teacher
God's Gift To My Son - His Goofy Sense Of Humor
Why We Do What We Do

No comments: